Op 12-7-2011 18:51, Rugxulo schreef:
> Hi,
>
> Homer:  "Where's the any key???"       :-))

yeah, people asking where the any key is, in 2011 :)

> BTW, feel free to nag some of us to (re)translate for Install. I see
> your /nls/ directory already has 12 languages (or perhaps 11 not
> counting .en).

I wonder if I made the dutch translation..it needs fixing.
Not sure which strings are relevant and correct in the english file.

If wanting things really fancy, organise sourcecode such that:
* NLS is used (KITTEN), optionally using external language files.
Lacking that, using internal strings.
* INSTALL can be compiled without an external strings file
* INSTALL can be compiled for a certain language with an external
strings file.

I think David 'o Shea did so in 2006 for MEM binaries.
( http://www.employees.org/~doshea/freedos/tmp/ )
http://www.employees.org/~doshea/freedos/tmp/mem.htm
(last few lines of the page, not sure any of this code made it into
mainline MEM 1.11 (which replaced Arkady's MEM program))

>>> * SUBST/JOIN usable for floppy install? 'mount' floppy files in some
>>> dummy "PACKAGES\BASE" directory?
>>
>> The new Install assumes a CDROM install source, and reads all the
>> packages at the beginning (so it understands the total number, used in
>> progress bar) then installs the packages. To do this using floppies,
>> the Install program would need to be refactored.

I was more thinking of running INSTALL for each disk. Pity we lack an
INKEY option like 4DOS has. It's a mixture between CHOICE (single key
except special keys) and SET /P (input requires pressing ENTER to confirm).

> I'm sure somebody weird (ahem) will probably still do it, but it's
> probably rare now that floppies are almost discontinued. Anyways, if
> anybody needs to install, they can come to the mailing lists and we'll
> guide 'em manually.

I've always disliked (UN)ZIP with so many switches/options, confusing me
a lot.

> IMHO, you (Jim) shouldn't worry about floppies at all right now. Leave
> that until after you take care of CD-ROM users (the majority).

Agreed.

> sure I was ever correct anyways. Yes, typically I set "TZ=CST"
> (central) though perhaps the full is something like "CST4DST" (or
> something, I forget and this computer doesn't have it set, doh).

CST, EST and UTC are confusing me. All I know is GMT, which would be
UTC? SET TZ=UTC (and be done with it, unset right after install)

>> The only way I can figure to test if the destination has enough space
>> is to use hard-coded values for how big FreeDOS 1.1 will be after it
>> is installed (with/without all packages, with/without source code.)

It's not 100% fullproof, but if free diskspace is at least a few MB,
then I'd assume the drive is writable and at least BASE would be
unpacked/installed. Non-existing drives have no free diskspace, and
neither do CD-ROMs for example.
Actually checking if the drive is writable could be done by creating the
target destination directory. Problem is when it already exists :)
Perhaps some tempfile.

> (overthinking) I guess in theory you could "unzip -l *.zip" and
> somehow sum up all the totals (awk?). I mean, if you wanted to do it
> the fancy automated way.   ;-)     But I think your way is plenty good
> enough for the foreseeable future. (Better than nothing!)

I'd more think of a parameter to give to INSTALL: /MINFREESPACE=5MB

>> If you do, please use UPX-UCL instead of NRV.
>
> If you use --lzma, it doesn't matter as they should be identical
> anyways. But yes, otherwise use UPX-UCL 3.07 (latest):
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/devel/upx/v3.07/

Thanks for pointing me to that. Disadvantage of 586+ binaries though
instead of 386 (or even 8086 but doubt UPX runs on that at all). Not
sure what minimum platform is.

I've got 2 feature requests:
* don't show the "BASE or EVERYTHING" question if only PACKAGES\BASE\
exists or PACKAGES\BASE\somefile.zip.
* at end of installation, switch to the target/installation directory,
so POSTINST can run and set DOSDIR to %_CWD% (current directory). Always
disliked the trick of using LOCATE.COM to find FreeDOS directory.