Op 22-7-2011 6:48, Jim Michaels schreef:
> whitepaper from AMI on the BIOS-to-UEFI transition (very informative).
> http://www.ami.com/support/downloadwp.cfm?DLFile=AMI_UEFI_Transition_Whitepaper_PUB.pdf&FileID=1387

Thanks for that paper, might prove to be an interesting piece to read.

> how long will be be before BIOS function support is totally gone? I
> don't know.

I don't know either. Current situation seems to be system with 1 of the
following:
* traditional BIOS
* traditional BIOS with some tricks for allowing 3GB discs
* UEFI with legacy compatibility
* UEFI without legacy compatibility (Apple machines?)
* Coreboot
* Coreboot with SeaBIOS , allowing DOS, Windows and the usual stuff to run.

If you've tested programs in QEMU..well SeaBIOS is the opensource BIOS
they're using there. On physical machines it's used on top of Coreboot
(for those boards ported/supported, that is).

> UEFI is taking over and slowly(?)/fastly(?) transitioning out BIOS
> functionality. This could either mean a transition period for freedos,
> or the end of freedos.
> I like freedos. I would like to be able to still write for freedos, but
> I am beginning to think it's going to have to become some "other kind"
> of OS (at least at the core?) to survive the 21st century. there will
> probably need to be a UEFI freedos and a BIOS freedos, since they are
> entirely different in the way they boot.

If I understand correctly, GPT partitioning scheme isn't a requirement
for UEFI, but UEFI is a requirement for GPT partitioning scheme (used on
discs with more than 2GB capacity).

So far it seems like current UEFI implementations have a legacy
compatibility layer. I share your concerns about future versions
dropping that, ofcourse. However above mentioned SeaBIOS should work,
provided your board gets supported by CoreBoot. I don't think it's
possible to hook up SeaBIOS to UEFI.

Another option ofcourse is if motherboards start embedding their own
hypervisor for para-virtualisation. I don't see BIOS disappearing from
virtual machines any time soon.

> hey - I am a forward thinker. I see problems down the road and I like to
> solve them up front.

Thanks for bringing this to people's attention.