On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 11:02 PM, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW, I like Pascal (although I'm no expert or anything), but I can't
> imagine FPC wouldn't work here too (in lieu of TP7). It supports 386
> natively, so it doesn't need dumb opcode overrides. I can't imagine it
> wouldn't be possible to get working since CWSDPMI has a ring 0 version
> (CWSDPR0). Actually, even beyond that, there is (barely) an 8086 real
> mode target for FPC nowadays (in unofficial 2.7.x, which will become
> 2.8.0 eventually), but it's very rough around the edges. See BTTR's
> Forum for details about an unofficial snapshot (but I think we're more
> likely to get 2.6.4 than 2.8.0 any time soon):
>
> http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/board_entry.php?id=12985#p13014

Hi,
I have tried the real mode FPC (PP16), but unfortunately it cannot handle
32bit code in inline assembly properly.
E.g.
 mov eax,dword ptr [reax]
 becomes
 mov ecx,word [bp-4]
 in the intermediate assembly file so you get an
 error: mismatch in operand sizes
 from the compiler.

So you can compile the source only with the same ' dumb opcode overrides'
and the source level elegancy advantage disappears this way.
But you are right, the 32bit fpc compiler can be used. I have uploaded the
modified package with fp32 source code. The package also contains the
compiled protected mode binary (sstepp.exe) that is prelinked with ring0
stub CWSDSTR0.