Hello Jim and all,

I like the idea of having two releases of FreeDOS with different goals: a
FreeDOS 1.2 as an update of current FreeDOS 1.1, in order to have something
on a short term as an update of current distribution.

As for FreeDOS 2.0, I share my ideas here. I agree that it should be a big
leap forward on the development of FreeDOS, and as my biggest worries are
the disappearing of BIOS and 16-bit mode, they are about moving to 32-bit.
Three possibilities:

(1)  My favourite would be to develop something similar to Microsoft's
VMM32.VXD:  a 32-bit kernel that would allow you to run different
16-bit/32-bit VMs, with expansion by 32-bit "drivers" (the VXD) that
emulate BIOS and control the VM interoperativity.
With some help (multithreading), and some software to run EXE-PE's and
DLL's, FreeDOS could expand not only to running DOS-16bit apps, but also
legacy Win32 apps (e.g. console ones). With quite an effort, this scheme
may be extended to run Win16, POSIX (minGW?) or OS/2 apps.

Booting could start with 16-bit, and then "execute" the extender, or
alternatively, set a bootstrap sequence (set by SYS) to directly run the
extender.

The disadvantage is that this is quite a lot of work, I think Japeth has
moved on this way, so there's something where to start. The advantage is
that DOS would retain much of its flavour, and continue the tradition
to run legacy Microsoft software.

(2) A second option would be that, instead of a "new" 32-bit kernel, we use
Linux: you boot a Linux without anything extra, and that simply runs DOSEMU
(or different consoles with different DOSEMU's, in order to emulate to have
different VM's). My plan was to pick a Linux distribution and start
stripping it down to simply boot DOSEMU.

The advantage is that FreeDOS would live as long as Linux lives (and no
matter if it moves to 64-bit), that is, forever. The disadvantage is that
it would mean moving to a native POSIX world, it may loose some of the DOS
flavour, and everything that does not work on DOSEMU, would not run on
"FreeDOS 2.0".

(3) Go the FreeDOS-32 way that you mentioned. The advantage is the total
freedom and unconstrained start for a 32-bit kernel, based on what's there.
The disadvantage is that it may also require a lot of work, and that it may
be to start a work compatible with nothing that already exists.

I just thought I should mention them before entering a critical way that
requires a lot of work.

Cheers and happy 2015 to everyone.
Aitor