As far as I have seen, DOS allocates one Program Segment Prefix and runs an
app in that segment. When you exit the program, it clears that app out then
loads the next one you run in the same segment. I don't think it would be
that hard to make it allocate an additional PSP every time a new app is
launched. Of course you have the whole hardware sharing issue, also, but
there should be some way to mitigate this issue too. Maybe an internal flag
which signifies that a certain program is using a specific resource, so
FreeDOS knows to make the other app wait until the first is finished before
allowing the request? That may cut down on the majority of conflicts.

Memory protection should be fairly easy to implement also, as all the
kernel would have to do is make a note of which process ID requested which
block of RAM and disallow writing into blocks owned by other processes.
This should be switchable, also, in case the user is depending on software
which *must* write into the far reaches of RAM.