I would tend to agree; GPL / public domain /
source-code-free-and-available-at-no-cost options are all viable in my
mind, but I want to 1) make sure I perform this task to the standards of
the project's leader and the community to which I have volunteered and 2)
avoid a potential user out there thinking something like, "Well, I *would*
choose FreeDOS, but not all its components are GPL code."

My problem is FreeDOS may end up being used in any number of capacities
(commercial, private, industrial, etc.) and this isn't my project so I'm
not sure how strict we want to be - e.g. I would hate to see our markets or
user base narrowed over one single choice.

Jim, what is your input on this?