I have encountered a little bit similar problem that is not really
one, but looks like one.
That was with testing the new installer floppy image, with a freshly
created disk of 100Mb, and all_cd.iso under QEMU­.
After fdisk had created the partition, the virtual system reboot.
After reboot, the system BIOS (SeaBIOS) was telling me it could not
start the system because the 0x55,0xAA signature of the MBR was not
there.
At first I considered it an error of the FDISK, but soon realized that
if it was "fixed" the situation would be worst, because it would try
to boot the MBR that was invalid. And indeed, adding a partition, I
don't expect the MBR to be touched.
So the real problem was me not giving the boot order... I need to tell
it to boot the floppy disk in priority...which fixed the problem.
Now it has come to my mind that the installer could install a MBR that
would force to boot fhe floppy, but somehow it does not feels a so
good idea.

Later, reading fdisk history, I did read that fdisk was changed not to
install a MBR by default and modified the 0x55, 0xAA signature. Which
seems right to me after some thinking.