Hi everybody, update on the 2 Nov mail by Matthew:

> The release candidate announcement encouraged people to try FreeDOS out
> and report any problems, so here I am to say that I successfully booted
> and installed 1.2-RC1 in a generation-1 Hyper-V 2012 R2 virtual machine
> using the ISO image.  I pretty much took the defaults for everything
> except RAM, which I set to 32 MB (the minimum allowed by Hyper-V), and
> storage, which I set to 40 GB.  The installation took a long
> time---several hours, although I didn't measure it carefully.

This matches some observation by Maarten during a FreeDOS install:

The installation spends a LONG time while displaying the text
"gathering information". Question about the installer: What
does that step do and are there ways to optimize it? I could
imagine that it tries to compare existing file versions to
the to-be-installed versions. This could be made faster by
making a directory listing of the old DOS installation once,
then keeping it in RAM (or in a file) while checking which
packages are up to date and which are not. Educated guesses.

Cheers, Eric