I am proud to announce the release of FreeDOS 1.2! You can download it from
our website at www.freedos.org.

The latest official FreeDOS distribution is the result of the hard work
from many people. Thanks to everyone in the FreeDOS Project for their work
towards this new release! There are too many of you to recognize
individually, but you have all helped enormously. Thank you!

DOS is one of the oldest PC operating systems. FreeDOS has an equally long
history. We started the FreeDOS Project in 1994 to create a free, open
source software version of DOS. We made our first Alpha release in
September 1994, and our first Beta in March 1998. In September 2006, we
finally released FreeDOS 1.0. And in January 2012, we released FreeDOS 1.1.

The new FreeDOS 1.2 is mostly an incremental change over FreeDOS 1.1,
although you'll find a few nice surprises.

FreeDOS 1.2 now makes it easier to connect to a network. We include a
revamped network setup and useful network applications to get you online.
Try the Dillo web browser for a graphical web experience, or the Links web
browser if you want just the text.

If you're interested in updated functionality, you can find new tools under
the Utilities section. For example, FreeDOS 1.2 provides several image
enhancement programs like Pngcrush and Gifsicle. Or you can enhance the DOS
command line with Unix-like utilities like sed, grep, tee, head, and bc.

Many people use FreeDOS to play games, and FreeDOS 1.2 now includes several
open source games for you to try. We include Freedoom and Boom for classic
first-person shooter fans. Arcade-style game fans will like Wing, a
familiar space shooter game, or Kiloblaster, a fast-paced arcade shooter.
Classic gamers will want to try Nethack, Invaders, Sudoku, and Tetris. For
those who want to play their own classic DOS games, we provide other tools
like Slowdown, so you can run certain older games on a fast modern computer.

But I think the first thing you'll notice about FreeDOS 1.2 is the new
installer! I wanted to make the install process an easy one, for new and
experienced users alike. And we have that in the new FreeDOS 1.2 installer,
thanks to Jerome Shidel. If you are a new user, the installer makes it easy
to install FreeDOS and get going with a few defaults. If you're an
experienced DOS user, you can unlock the Advanced installer that lets you
tweak the FreeDOS install to your preference.

I'm very excited for the new FreeDOS 1.2 distribution!