INI has my upvote. Just not sure of how much scope I would include.

what if you want a class that can be used to read and write to it
(maintaining comments and such)? Complexity is added. I can see code creep.

If it was read only it would be fairly simple and inexpensive. However,
then other code would be scattered throughout to write out there own ini
files.

XML is easy to read/write and is extensible. However, it has allot of
bloat. And user editing is not as straight forward as INI.

After some reading, I dropped JSON as a potential format.

Thanks for the suggestion.