Hi Eric,
Thanks for your answer.
I agree it would be far better using a switch to avoid recompiling the FreeCOM
command.com but after my research I concluded DOSBOX do not offer these country
settings and is missing any config.sys functionality. I've read they are not
very interested in adding this because they focus only on the minimum work
required for games compatibility. They don't even support the dir /-4 switch in
their own command.com. I will continue to investigate and asking them just in
case. But I do not expect much help on their side because my program is not a
game.

Also I want to avoid booting the FreeDOS kernel on a disk image, because doing
so do not allow access to the host file system. Without the DOSBOX kernel, we
don't have the "mount" command and we constantly have to mount/unmount the DOS
disk image from the GNU/Linux or Windows host (or use FTP networking) to
exchange data. This is tedious and the disk image gets corrupted if
simultaneously mounted or written on by the Host and the DOS. I need to use the
DOSBOX kernel because I want direct access to the directories without being
confined in virtual disk images.

>From my point of view an interesting improvement for the next FreeDOS's kernel
>could be to duplicate the DOSBOX capability to mount external directories...

PS: ymail exists since many years. For me it is not a recent renaming.