Hallo Herr Jim Hall,

> (1) What does "Base" mean in 2017 or 2018? I think there are some
> packages we might take out of "Base" and move into a "Compat" package
> group, such as:

> APPEND
> ASSIGN
> GRAPHICS
> JOIN
> SUBST
> others?

leaving them where they are doesn´t hurt; what would be the gain. it
would only add confusion for those (rare) users  that still use SUBST
etc.

> (4) Is there anything missing in FreeDOS 1.2 that should be included
> in "FreeDOS 2.0"?

the distributed ISO should be a FreeDOS live disk.

there is literally no good reason that FreeDOS *must* be installed to
experience the beauty of a C:> prompt.

just put every binary on the CD as it would be installed, so all these
beautiful games from 1980 can be played right out of the box.

I'd leave the sources in zip archives, though

one last thought: how exactly would make your proposed changes
FreeDOS worth a change in naming to 2.0 ?

I personally would expect more change then removing APPEND even if
APPEND has its roots in CP/M and MSDOS 1.0

Tom