Hello Tom, hello Rugxulo,

METADOS is a very advanced, very spaghetti BATCH project,
which in the end connects you with TCP, downloads components
(MEM.EXE below) from the internet and more interesting stuff.
unfortunately, *very* spaghetti.
.BAT doesn't have loops. It overuses "goto". It's not Turing complete.
Frankly, it's very weak, but at least it does some minimal things
well. The advantage is that it's familiar syntax (well, to DOS
luddites) and uses simple text files, so it's easily modified. The

OK, I think I am getting some idea of what might be causing the instability.

When I recompiled FreeCOM on my end with GCC, and tried to run "fetch mem" inside the METADOS setup, the command.com grew the heap area very quickly when handling the complex batch files, and the stack pointer (%sp), which was patched to start at a rather low address (0x39a0), quickly collided with the heap.

Currently the newlib-ia16 library used in the GCC toolchain does not have a mechanism to limit the heap size (other than that the sbrk( ) program break should not wrap around) --- unlike Turbo C which has a _heaplen variable --- so perhaps that is something I can work on. (As for Open Watcom, I am not sure whether or not it has such a mechanism.)

Thank you!
--
https://github.com/tkchia