<sorry, first version was send prematurely>

> Here's the DropBox link (again), in case it wasn't obvious:

> * https://www.dropbox.com/s/6whjgmb9xhdgw29/metados-0.7.zip?dl=0

how in god name would that be obvious?
are we all required to note all your more or less old emails?

anyway, I downloaded this, and replaced the 32-bit system\unzip.exe
with 16-bit unzip.exe from ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/msdos/unz600x3.exe
which makes everything behave *much* faster under VirtualBox.

then I created 3 instances of this machine, replacing command.com
by commandT/W/G.com in https://github.com/FDOS/freecom/releases/tag/com084pre6

everything else identical.
tested on Windows-32, VirtualBox, 256 MB machine size.

the idea is that they should behave identical. They don't.

here's a watcom bug:

start the machine.
run
   TESTS JED

this should download a lot of stuff, build JED (whatever that is), and keep the
machine busy for 10 minutes.

FreeCOM-watcom  will stop fairly quickly with

unzip: cannot find any matches for wildcard specification fil4*.zip
and short after abort the build.

strange side effect: after this test, the command

   a:>copy commandW.com system\command.com
results in
   the COPY destination must not contain plus ('+') characters.

this might be easier to locate

freecom-T and -G   (seem to) behave as expected.

just to save everybody else some time:

restart machine.
   TESTS AWK    (seems to) work

restart machine.
   TESTS OBERON16 seems to work, but

nearly at the end (after bef93om.mod) , commandG  results in 'out of memory
error'
not good.

restart machine.
   TESTS JWASMDJ

after 1572 seconds, everything seems to have worked.
ok it worked, but slow as molasses.

restart machine.
   TESTS CTAGS
all 3 fail quickly with a ctags58.zip problem. might be a unzip.exe bug.

restart machine.
   TESTS PICOC

...patching...
after a short time, the WATCOM machine reports several times
   the COPY destination must not contain plus ('+') characters.
   the COPY destination must not contain plus ('+') characters.
   the COPY destination must not contain plus ('+') characters.

   later, time.c fails to compile.
bad.

commandT and -G build success

restart machine.
   TESTS P7ZIP

aborted on all 3 machines after waiting forever. identical bug, or no freecom
bug at all.

restart machine.
   TESTS SHSURDRV
success.

restart machine.
   TESTS NASMWAT
all 3 report 'bad command or file name "tar.exe", but proceed
in the end, all 3 fail in identical way.

restart machine.
    TEST KE2041

freecomW fails with 'bad command or filename - "patch.exe"

freecom-T and -G build kernel.sys ok.

summary:

both watcom and gnu builds have at least one bug left.

Tom