On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 3:36 PM Wilhelm Spiegl <wilhelm.spi...@mail.com> wrote:

> solution, 2.01, 2.02, 2.11, 2.20. if necessary 2.02.01 for minor updates or:
> 2-01, 2-02, 2-11, 2-20, 2-02-01. but of course this will run out of 8.3.
> compared with checking and changing thousands of htm help files renaming is a
> five minutes job.

Using "2.02.01" is an interesting solution, but then the "version
number" on the filename no longer matches what's in the documentation
- or reported by the program when you run it. If the program outputs a
version number that's "2.1" (and uses "2.1" in the documentation) and
we rename the file to "2.01" .. that will confuse people too.

There is no 100% perfect solution. :-(

> i noticed at xkeyb that at some of the zero byte files the
> names are in the wrong folder

Oops, that was a remnant of when I was organizing things. I didn't
mean to keep xkeyb's zero-length files, and I've just removed them.

> and sometimes the files have 8.3, sometimes not, depending on
> the name of the files which is different. some use x_yy, some
> xy instead of x.yy. this is still confusing.

Yes, developers used their own filename conventions. In the earlier
days, we tried to use 8.3 naming standards. But not everyone - some
used long filenames, assuming that people will probably download these
files onto a computer like Windows, Mac or Linux .. which all support
long filenames. Over time, more people used the longer filenames.

All of that makes cleanup really hard. There's not "one perfect
solution" for this.

Jim