Hello FreeDOS developers and users,

I decided to push out release 2 of my FreeDOS Debug fork today, nearly 3 months after release 1. It is based on 2008's FreeDOS Debug 1.13 first, staying with the Netwide Assembler source, though with many of the changes added to FreeDOS Debug since ported and merged in.

It is an advanced take on a simple line I/O based debugger. It can be controlled as a DOS application (int 21h), from a ROM-BIOS terminal (int 10h, int 16h), through a serial port, and/or from script files. It runs in Real or Virtual 86 Mode, as a DOS application, DOS TSR, or bootloaded instead of an OS kernel. The DPMI-capable lDebugX also can run as a DPMI client.

lDebug is free/libre software and can be re-built entirely using a free toolchain. The provided scripts are for cross-compile building on a desktop or server Linux host system.

As before, the manual is included, in a HTML file (preferred) as well as a text file and PDF. The five application executables are the same as for the prior release too; ldebug.com and ldebugx.com are LZMA-compressed, ldebugu.com and ldebugxu.com are uncompressed, and all four can be used as DOS applications or bootloaded from the lDOS boot sector loaders. The included instsect application allows installing such a loader to a DOS drive, file system image file, or into a boot sector file for chainloading. All programs are intended to run on any processor type down to the 8088/8086 level.

Refer to my website [1] for links to the releases, repo, and most recent documentation on the web. Changes since release 1 (and the ones prior to release 1) are now listed in the manual [2]. Release 2 includes a few bug fixes, as well as two new features: Line editing history [3] and register dump change highlighting [4].

Jerome suggested [5] for me to write to the mailing lists to advertise this package and suggest it be included in future FreeDOS releases. I decided to finish release 2 for the occasion, mainly because I would like to get out the bug fixes added since release 1.

To the ibiblio server admins: Please mirror the LDEBUG2.ZIP file from my FreeDOS package subdirectory [6].

Regards,
ecm

[1]: https://ulukai.org/ecm/web/#projects-ldebug
[2]: https://ulukai.org/ecm/doc/ldebug.htm#news-r2