Now it becomes absolutely confusing:
format d: /u says:
Full formatting (wiping all data)
Zapping / checking 443889 sectors and after a standard message

[Error 36]

I repeated with format d: /u /d:
FAT1x size: 217, using FAT16
Disk size 217MBytes, FAT16
[debug] enabled accessing flags
Full formatting (wiping all data)
Zapping / checking 443889 sectors and after a standard message
+***bad sectors: 1 (code 0x201) on WRITE
+***bad sectors: 1 (code 0x201) on READ
One of the first 5 sectors is broken. Format not possible

Repeated once again:
format d: /q /d
Warning: Resets cluster marks, if any
File system creation
Boot sector -> 0
Drive_IO (Write 0 Count 1) [FAT12/16] (drive d)
critical error during DOS disk access
DOS driver error (hex):01
Program terminated

Same problem with 484 MB partition (other virtual machine).

Format d:
/q /u exits with error 129,
/u exits with error 36,
/y exits with error 129,
/q /d with the unknown unit for driver
/u /d with the bad sectors

When removing the vhd from virtualbox and adding the vhd as hd at Win10 it asks for formatting.
Windows HD manager says: 484 MB RAW, no failures, active, primary partition, so these settings seem to be correct.
After formatting by Windows 10 the vhd works fine in FD as drive d. I added files an ran chkdsk, no problem.
Win-result: 507.535.360 Bytes,
8.192 Bytes per cluster,
61955 total clusters

If I have a little time I will try if the problem also occurs with the first HD when creating a partition from diskette.

Willi

Cheers! But with more alcohol (5 percent - no ... water...now!)