>>> you can design APIs all day long, but if nobody is using these APIs
>>> it's a bit pointless. and the BIOS certainly will not suddenly call
>>> any DMA reservation API.

>> These APIs will be used by anybody who needs to virtualize things
>> like IRQs, I/O ports, and DMA channels.

> after more then 18 years of virtualization we somehow learn right now that
> we need a 'virtualization API'.

sometimes Tom writes nonsense.

he was speaking about VirtualPC and the like.

for the intended purpose - presenting a virtual sound card, serial
port, paralell port etc. this might make sense.

however only a sound card would use DMA.

> And hard drives and Ethernet cards and anything else that needs to transfer a
> lot of data at once.

none of them use ISA DMA which is the one you would have to
synchronize.

Tom