Hi all,

Partly, this is a TODO note to myself. Partly, it’s a heads-up RC5 is coming
very soon.

More or less this an over simplified version of my current timeline/schedule
for RC5…

        Today…          Updated installers with the MBR boot code check. The
utility to check was done a while ago. Just needed to update
the installers to use it.  Haven’t tested yet. But, only really added a couple
lines. So, don’t expect any issues there. Also, some other FreeDOS related
“house keeping” stuff.

        Tomorrow…       Some package updates.

        Thursday…       Bring back FDNET.  Maybe tweak the CDROM initialization
batch file. Maybe make some minor changes to the installed FDCONFIG.SYS and
FDAUTO.BAT configuration files.

        Friday…         Do some tweaking to the RBE (Release Build Environment)
that involves duplicate copies of some files on the floppy images. Update it to
combine all the Floppy Edition versions into a single archive (one file for
versions 1.44, 1.2, etc). Also, update it to place the CD boot floppy inside
the CD download zip (no longer be a separate download). Probably do a test
release build so I can see what else needs fixed.

        Saturday…       Fix broken stuff. Run a bunch of tests.

        Sunday… If required, same as Saturday.

        …                       Repeat as needed.

Some side notes…

        The RBE uses a fully automated process to gather the packages, process
them and generate an up-to-the-minute version of FreeDOS.  So, it mostly comes
down to anything that may still be broken in the Installer from all the changes
that occurred prior to RC4. Same goes with programs like FDIMPLES that use data
on the media to display package information.

        FreeCOM. Prior to RC4, the installer would use a package to install
command.com <http://command.com/>. Using the newly FreeCOM in RC4, a bunch of
changes were made and the installers handled it manually. I think I will
probably change the installers again to go back to using a package. It reduces
the overall complexity needed to handle FreeCOM installation. However, I may
just leave it as-is and manage it manually. That would leave open the
possibility of doing NLS splicing to the shell in later releases. I haven’t
decided yet.

        I do know there is at least one issue at present with the Floppy
Edition. Software updates and package changes have caused an increase in size.
When I ran a test build a few days ago, the RBE threw an “out of free space”
error while creating the 720k version. I haven’t looked into it yet. It may be
as simple as doing a little more cleanup when building the Floppy Edition. If
not, I’ll probably make a couple changes to the FE. More or less, by
segregating the installer from the boot diskette. I’ve been meaning to do that
to possibly provide a 360k version.

Anyhow, I think that covers most of the biggest things left before RC5 is ready
to go.

Jerome