Hi Tom,

> On Dec 25, 2021, at 3:47 PM, tom ehlert <t...@drivesnapshot.de> wrote:
> [..]
> being a programmer, I had expected that ALL of these different methods
> to install freedos would have resulted in 2 possible different
> outcomes: normal mode, and advanced mode.

The "normal ways to install list" makes it seem more complicated than it is in
reality.

When it comes down to it, there are really just the two installers FDI and
FDI-x86 that
have normal and advanced modes. The rest are options in the installers for
things
like languages, keymap, etc.

Being batch file based, the installers rely heavily on FreeCOM and other tools.
There
are numerous work arounds in it for older shell bugs that may no longer exist
and
even some newly detected ones.

For example, there is a bug in FreeCOM that affected the installer since 1.2
that
more or less went undetected for over 5 years. It would only crop up in some
edge case installs. Once I discovered that issue, I reworked that part of the
installer
to avoid the bug. I also submitted bug reports on that and several other issues.

( If you want to read more about the bugs I found in FreeCOM recently, check out
the bug reports at https://github.com/FDOS/freecom/issues
<https://github.com/FDOS/freecom/issues> )

Everything else is just different media and ways to boot/launch the installers
and
variables in the installer.  So, it’s not nearly as bad as the list made it
seem.

That being said, many of those ways do get tested originally and occasionally
as
changes are made.

Mostly, the list is to point out that — like with all things... The further
down the list
you go increases the possibility of finding undetected or unforeseen issues.
Testing
the more obscure methods is always very helpful.

:-)

Jerome