Hi,

> On Jan 17, 2022, at 4:05 PM, Liam Proven <lpro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 at 20:15, Robert Riebisch <r...@bttr-software.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>>> I suspect the term is regional :-) It's the same thing as a USB thumb
>>> drive or USB flash drive.
>>>
>>> USB flash drive is the more common term.
>>
>> In Germany it's often called "USB stick".
>
> Agreed. USB key/stick/thumb drive. I've just not seen "fob" before. I
> think it's easily possible to work out what it is.
>
> To get slightly back on topic: has the list got any recommendations
> for the best way to make a DOS-bootable key from scratch, i.e. not
> from an ISO?
>
> What I do is using a VM on Linux. VMware is easier for this, but
> VirtualBox can do it too.
>
> I attach the key directly to VM as its hard disk. (In VirtualBox you
> need to create a special device, which is only accessible as root, and
> then use the `chmod` command to make it usable by an ordinary user.
>
> Then I boot DOS from a floppy image, and use the normal DOS tools to
> partition the USB key, then make a single big primary partition, set
> it as active, format it, then `sys` it.
>
> This will usually now boot the PC directly, but it's a little
> hit-or-miss on some PCs.
>
> I blogged about how to do this on Linux years ago:
> https://liam-on-linux.livejournal.com/50416.html
>

> --
> Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com
> Twitter/LinkedIn: lproven ~ Skype: liamproven
> UK: (+44) 7939-087884 ~ Czech [+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal]: (+420) 702-829-053

Some do refer to them as a fob.

I did not look any of this up. So, it could be completely wrong. :-)

Basically, I think it has something to do with semi-modern car remotes (Like
alarm, start, locks). They were usually kept on the key ring. However, many
were not part of the automobile key.

These devices were often referred to as Key Fobs or just Fobs for short. The
name has seemed to migrate to any type of electronic device that could be
placed on a ring or clip.