Hi Willi

> On Jan 19, 2022, at 7:39 AM, Wilhelm Spiegl <wilhelm.spi...@mail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi to all,
> did you ever try to boot from the diskette with an inserted CD or from the
> diskette itself?

Yes many many many times.

> As it is a live version the CD offers "Use FD in live environment mode",
> "Install to harddisk",  "Boot from HD" and "Boot from diskette".
> When you choose "Boot from diskette" at this position

It would boot any diskette. Not just the install diskette. For example, a
Windows 95 install diskette or Linux recovery diskette.

> (or when you directly boot from diskette) there is NO option for "Use FD in
> live environment mode" - it only offers INSTALLATION (at least I did not find
> it, if it exists, please tell me).

Correct. At present, only selecting the Live Environment when booting the Live
CD provides the live environment mode.

> If I go to CD-ROM drive D: I can only see setup.bat - and this one also only
> offers installation, no live environment. I am sure there is a batch file
> that offers live environment too,but it is not in the root folder, means:
> newbies will not find it.

There is not a readily available batch to do that.

> From my sight this is dangerous, even there is a warning that it may
> overwrite your system.

I disagree for several reasons.

First, the installer does warn that it will replace the present OS.

Second, almost all newbies that are just trying out FreeDOS will be doing it
using a VM.

Third, if a newbie is actually using real hardware, it is probably a machine
made within the last decade. Most machines in the last 15 years don’t have any
floppy drives. If the machine is very new, it will probably either be UEFI only
or at least set to UEFI booting and won’t boot any of our release media.

> @Jerome: sorry, but I think this is an important point for discussing - and
> not distributing the diskette.

I think if it was pre year 2000 it might be worth putting some additional
safeguards in place to prevent a newbie from trashing their existing operating
system.

However, even if the installer required the user to type “YES, Please
completely ERASE and DESTROY Everything on my computer now” and even required
matching case, there would still be users who did not realize it would break
there current operating system.

But, it is now the year 2022 and based on how most people run and use FreeDOS
and other DOS platforms, such additional measures just are not warranted.

A single warning by the installer is sufficient.

> Willi

:-)

Jerome