In general, I find that toggling options are a bad idea.  Things just get too
confusing, especially if you have multiple "sources" for the options (like
combinations of internal/compile-time default settings, environment variables,
options entered through a batch file, options entered via a command-line,
etc.).  It just gets too confusing to keep track of whether in total you've
entered an even or odd number of "toggles".

I usually set up my programs so that there is a +/- or yes/no "sub-option".
Rather than toggling, there is an "override" or "priority" process of which
option to use.  For example, an option provided through an environment variable
takes priority over a default/internal option -- it does not "toggle" the
internal option but rather completely overrides it.  Similarly, an option
entered on the command-line takes priority over an option provided through an
environment variable.  I find this approach much less confusing than toggling.