On Thu, Nov 3, 2022 at 4:35 PM Jim Hall <jh...@freedos.org> wrote:

> I wrote a new game over the weekend, as part of Open Jam 2022. My game
> is a retro CPU simulator where you enter programs in machine language
> (binary opcodes) using a "switches and lights" model. It is meant to
> be a minimal instruction set computer, used for learning about how
> computers work. I call it the Toy CPU.
>
> The Toy is a DOS program that runs in graphics mode (640x480 @ 16
> colors). Keyboard only. No sound.
>
> The Toy is released under the MIT license, on GitHub:
> https://github.com/freedosproject/toycpu
>
> My GitHub page also includes several sample programs you can enter
> into the Toy. Release 3.0 contains a precompiled DOS program you can
> run.
>
> If you'd like to see it in action, check out this video:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IptoyRCRYFU
>
> Here's the entry on Open Jam:
> https://itch.io/jam/open-jam-2022
>[..]

Follow-up on this:

The Toy CPU Simulator ranked #2 on the Open Jam! Of course, voting was
very low. But it's still exciting to see a DOS game do this well.

https://itch.io/jam/open-jam-2022/results

What it is:

I teach some university classes part-time, and this year I wrote a
simulation of a simple CPU, to help my "100-level" ("intro-level"
non-computer science) students understand how computers work, and how
programming works. The prototype compiled on Linux with ncurses. The
new version is a DOS program that runs in graphics mode.