On 1/3/2023 4:33 PM, Jim Hall wrote:
On Sun, Jan 1, 2023 at 7:47 PM Gregory Pietsch <gpiet...@comcast.net> wrote:

Your opinion?
Here are my thoughts:

I think if I had marked a file as read-only (such as a
"known good" copy of a file I was working on) I would be
really unhappy if Edlin overwrote it without telling me it
was going to do that. So my recommendation is to not change
the file permission without asking the user. It might be
safer instead to just print a message like "Backup file
is read only - cannot save a backup copy of this file"
so the user knows what's going on.
I would agree with that.
Beside giving that warning about the backup file being read-only (which has a .bak file extension, right?), I would suggest maybe to save it under a different file extension, instead .bak, using .bk or .bk2. If that file also exists (and could possibly be read-only) well, tough nuts. Give another warning message and/or offer the option to play thermonuclear war... 😛

Ralf 😎