On 1/15/2023 6:17 AM, Knedlik wrote:
Okay, I’m still even a few days after very confused. I came into DOS with my
only programming knowledge being on modern 64-bit systems and I didn’t even go
lower-level than C++.
Well, that are two hurdles at once. In order to work with DOS (any DOS), you kind of need to forget a lot of what you might take for granted
I have no idea where to start - I would love to learn how to do all the cool
stuff like graphics and then extending the base stuff with more bits (a bit
theoretical, but would a 64-bit extender be possible?) and a GUI desktop, but
where do I learn this stuff? What should I learn as a prerequisite?

As I mentioned in an earlier reply, start with really programming in DOS. Start to learn what the limitations of DOS are, but also what leeway you have when programming in DOS. With great possibilities, also come great responsibilities.

Nothing personal, but I always wonder why people that come to FreeDOS (now that DOS per se is official dead for 28 years) and then their immediate focus is "a GUI desktop" and things like a "32bit/64 bit extender". Ultimately, it sounds as if those people pretty much want to re-invent the wheel and recreate a current version of Linux, not actually working in/with DOS....

I had started to write a article/tutorial about programming for DOS, but due to changes in my personal situation last year, this is currently on ice and I would have to get to my storage (probably not before next Saturday) to retrieve my older laptop or at least the backup disks from my storage to continue this, or start all over again...

Ralf