Hi again,

I was thinking about this old email and thought I should clarify (in a
technical sense).

(comments below)

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 6:56 PM Jim Hall <jh...@freedos.org> wrote:

> Here's the thing: I've had years of direct experience with Stallman.
>
> He calls DOS a "DOG operating system." The FSF and GNU websites
> actually referred to MS-DOS as "the M$-DOG operating system" for
> years. When I talked to Stallman about it, he doubled down on that
> statement and said I was a "DOG man" because I worked on FreeDOS. And
> he said anyone who uses FreeDOS is a "DOG user." Maybe Stallman
> thought that was funny.

FreeDOS is my favorite operating system. I've spent thousands of hours
playing with it. I also like dogs, so never would I be offended by
being called a "dog man".

It's entirely possible that Richard dislikes DOS that much. It's also
possible that he was just being funny. Either explanation is
irrelevant because our enjoyment and use of FreeDOS does not rely on
his preferences.

"A poor carpenter blames his tools." But FSF used to sell CD-ROMs with
DJGPP binaries. "Current" DJGPP 2.05 has Emacs 28.2 and GCC 12.2. So
how bad can DOS be?

I actually am pretty sure that "MSDOG" is an old article by Morten
Welinder (a big contributor to DJGPP and Emacs back in the day).

* http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/doc/msdog.html
* https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Acknowledgments.html

The article by Morten is mostly technical in complaints but also
obsolete (written in 1995). It covers "file system", "kernel", "shell"
(the main culprit, by far), and "utilities". (Don't like FreeDOS? Fix
it! "Patches welcome.")

A lot of it doesn't apply universally to all DOSes anymore. It mostly
targets MS-DOS 6.22. So specific bugs don't exist with other vendors,
and all known improvements and workarounds are not mentioned (solving
at least 80% of the problems). In particular, like I said, Morten
contributed to DJGPP, which was always a *huge* boon to developers
with many excellent tools that (also) avoided or fixed most of these
problems. If the default DOS shell is despised as too weak or buggy
(e.g. GNU Make wisely avoids it, if possible), there are plenty of
other scripting tools available.

In summary, out of 38 complaints:

improved:  1, 3, 7, 8
workaround:  9, 15, 16, 17, 23, 25, 27, 30
vendor-specific: 2, 4, 5, 6, 10, 14, 18, 21, 22, 26, 28, 29, 33, 34, 35, 37, 38
irrelevant:  11, 12, 13, 19, 20, 24, 31, 32, 36