Hi,

On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 4:26 AM Wilhelm Spiegl <wilhelm.spi...@mail.com> wrote:

> after several tests I found the reason for this strange behaviour.
> It disappeared when I booted from a virtual diskette without fdconfig /
> fdauto.bat and executed watcom.exe. Same from HD.
> Then I added fdconfig again - it was still fast.
> Finally I found out that line (in about 62) caused be brake.
> "lh fdapm apmdos"
> This command appears three times in the autoexec.bat (lines 40, 62, 76, maybe
> it varies a little) and is used there depending on the machine types.
> Putting the command "lh fdapm apmdos" to "rem" made the watcom.exe
> installation file work as it should.
>
> I asked Eric Auer, he recommended tests without "lh" - or  replacing apmdos
> by the softer "fdapm ADV:REG" but this gave the same slow
> speed I had before.
>
> So I wonder if it is really necessary to install energy saving in FreeDOS
> live CD, or, at least to check where
> the machine runs (bare metal or vm which needs more engergy at all).

IIRC, there's also a FDCONFIG setting of IDLEHALT which can already
help somewhat. Outside of applications which constantly poll, it
should reduce (virtual) cpu usage to less than maximum.

Anyways, I just now booted up old QEMU 6.1.0 (64-bit) atop dead Win7
and used MetaDOS 0.7 (kernel 2041, 128 MB RAM, half of that is RAM
drive) with old curl 7.64.1 to grab the relevant OW 2.0-c installer
.EXE (which uses Causeway). Grabbing 140 MB with Curl took me five
minutes. Installing a not-quite-full DOS toolset (roughly 33 MB) took
two minutes. This was atop a virtual hard disk (FAT16) of 510 MB, no
VT-X needed!

NASM 0.98.39 (16-bit) built and worked okay, so did MiniSed, so did
p2c. What didn't work was compiling TinyAsm (for some unknown reason,
probably a bug).

So I guess this issue can be closed. (Further testing results are
still welcome.)