A user emailed me with what they thought was a bug, but to me it looks
like everything is okay. Ironically, I think it's QBASIC that has the
issue.

Here's the "bug" as described to me:

The user ran PC Tools on FreeDOS and navigated around. They exited PC
Tools into a directory (BAS_DAT) that contained their QBASIC source
files. When you exit PC Tools, it sets the working directory to
whatever location you were in last (in this case, the "BAS_DAT"
directory).

That's when they discovered that
"BAS_DAT"
was showing in the DOS prompt as
"BAS_DAT "

(that's "BAS_DAT" with an extra space after it)

Running QBASIC from that directory fails (immediately brings up an
error dialog saying "Bad file name" even though QBASIC was run without
arguments).

*Aside: I thought QBASIC would only run on MS-DOS, but I checked the
screenshot the user sent me; it's really MS-DOS QBASIC, not QuickBASIC
or something else. And the series of screenshots they sent indicated
QBASIC was running on FreeDOS. So I guess QBASIC doesn't mind running
on non-MS DOS?

That is an interesting bug, to be sure. I downloaded and installed PC
Tools Pro 9 (10-9-1993) (3.5-1.44mb) [English-International]
(3.5-1.44mb) from https://winworldpc.com/ on FreeDOS (with QEMU) and
was able to reproduce the symptom. But the issue appears to be
inherent to PC Tools - and then a problem with QBASIC not recognizing
a space-padded path like it should (interesting to find a bug in
MS-DOS QBASIC, though).

I think what is happening is, upon exit, PC Tools "fills out" the DOS
working directory path to 8.3 with spaces. So the "BAS_DAT" directory
is actually "BAS_DAT" plus one space (plus an unused extension).
That's where the mystery space is coming from. But the filesystem
hasn't been modified, it's just how PC Tools sets the working
directory when it exits.

In my case, I was able to reproduce the problem using a directory
called "AMB". After I exited PC Tools, it showed on the prompt's path
as "AMB" plus 5 spaces. But I could still (successfully) launch
FreeDOS EDIT from there, and use EDIT to open a file in that directory
(both as a command line arg to EDIT, and by starting EDIT then loading
the file).

Backing up one directory, I can see the directory entry in the
filesystem hasn't actually changed; it's still "AMB" without the
spaces (using DIR/W will put directory names in brackets, making any
spaces easy to see).

So ultimately, this isn't a FreeDOS bug. PC Tools is exiting to a
directory and padding the working directory path with spaces. And then
QBASIC is panicking because the working directory is space padded now.
But the path isn't actually space padded, as you can see if you go
back one directory.

Curious if anyone else has tested PC Tools on FreeDOS (or MS-DOS) and
if you see similar behavior.