> On Aug 2, 2023, at 3:05 PM, Rugxulo via Freedos-devel
> <freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> On Wed, Aug 2, 2023 at 2:29 AM Paul Edwards via Freedos-devel
>> <freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>>
>>> FreeDOS should run on 8086, both kernel and shell. If it doesn't,
>>> that's a bug or omission.
>>
>> Are you sure? I thought I was told that the standard
>> distribution relied on an 80386.
>
> Jerome's work on the distribution overall (and a lot of software
> packages) requires 386. But the basics should still run on 8086.

 My stuff for FreeDOS requires only an 8086. The exception being LOGGER which
can run on an 8086. But, I have that functionality turned off at present.

The CD and USB install media need a 386 do to the reliance on grep during
installation. Which I feel is fine. Because USB is not present on 386 or less.
Also, the CD drivers available to us require a 386+.

Eventually, I will add the functionality that is provided by grep into V8Power
tools. However, because the drivers still need a 386+, those media will still
need one to use them directly.

This is not the case for the Floppy Edition. It boots the 8086 kernel and only
needs a 8086 to install. However, do to the compatibility issue in CPU
detection which I have mentioned previously, installs the full package set
(including 386 software).

There are other base components in FreeDOS, such as CuteMouse that do not
support an 8086.