Hi guys, thanks for cleaning up autoexec!

REM - streamlined the network test (user adds their own stuff anyway).

I hope they add it at a place where it actually gets to run :-)

set PATH=%DOSDIR%\BIN
if exist %DOSDIR%\LINKS\NUL set PATH=%path%;%DOSDIR%\LINKS

A special test just for one app? I would prefer if LINKS came
with a batch wrapper which gets placed in BIN, then PATH does
not have to dynamically add the directory of LINKS.

If LINKS means such wrappers instead of the browser LINKS, then
I suggest to just put all batch wrappers in the BIN directory.

set TZ=UTC

Personally, I prefer RTC having local time. Add a comment here?

alias reboot=fdapm warmboot
alias reset=fdisk /reboot

You can also reboot with FDAPM COLDBOOT or FDAPM WARMBOOT.

:SUPPORT286

fdapm APMDOS

This sort of implies that HLT saves no power on 8086?
On the other hand, 8086 are low on RAM, so it probably
is best to load as few drivers as possible there, yes.

In a related thought, we should pick a KSSF swapping
or otherwise non-XMS-swapping freecom command.com in
ALL cases where no XMS driver is loaded. Be it because
the CPU is too old, be it because the user choses some
boot menu option without XMS drivers deliberately.

ctmouse

You can compile CuteMouse for 8086, but that uses slightly
more RAM. In addition, buggy versions exist where the 8086
compile actually requires a newer CPU. Either way, as we
are talking of mice and men, you may want to do this in an
"either load this or load that ctmouse version" way instead
of and "either load ctmouse or do not load it" way :-)

:SUPPORT386

if "%CONFIG%"=="4" goto SUPPORT386LOW

lh fdapm APMDOS
REM lh share

In which way is SHARE 386 specific?

:SUPPORT386LOW

fdapm APMDOS
ctmouse

So SHARE only gets loaded at all if loaded high?

if exist %DOSDIR%\bin\cdrom.bat call %DOSDIR%\bin\cdrom.bat

Do we also have CD-ROM and DVD or BD drivers for 8086 or 286?

if exist %DOSDIR%\bin\fdnet.bat call %DOSDIR%\bin\fdnet.bat start
REM - add your own networking commands here: (if any)

I assume that batch autodetects networking at each boot?
I believe people may just manually edit autoexec anyway.

if exist %DOSDIR%\bin\fdassist.bat call %DOSDIR%\bin\fdassist.bat
if exist %DOSDIR%\bin\cdrom.bat call %DOSDIR%\bin\cdrom.bat display
if exist %DOSDIR%\bin\welcome.bat call %DOSDIR%\bin\welcome.bat

For my taste, the boot process is split into too many batch files.

REM nlsfunc %DOSDIR%\BIN\COUNTRY.SYS
REM display CON=(EGA,858,2)
REM mode CON CP PREP=((858) %DOSDIR%\CPI\EGA.CPX)
REM keyb US,858,%DOSDIR%\bin\keyboard.sys
REM chcp 858
REM mkeyb UK

You probably want suggest to load all of those earlier.

If people just remove the REM, the font and keyboard
drivers would get loaded quite late.

Regards, Eric