Gregory Pietsch wrote:

> I did have a lot of communication about Edlin when it was first released, but
> not as much anymore.

I actually use Edlin, and I do so without irony. It's great if you run
a command and want to make a quick BAT file out of it. I don't need
Edit for that, I can just as easily tap out a few lines in Edlin and
save it.

One thing that would make that easier is a command line option to
suppress Edlin output. Something like /QUIET or /Q to not display the
"welcome" message (copyright & license). Because if I run a command
and want to make a BAT file out of it, the extra text might push some
interesting stuff off the top of the screen.

Also, it would be nice if Edlin supported the /? option on DOS to
display the usage. Right now, it assumes any command line parameter is
a file:

> C:\> edlin /?
> edlin 2.23, copyright (c) 2003 Gregory Pietsch
> This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> It is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> under the terms of the GNU General Public License -- either
> version 2 of the license, or, at your option, any later
> version.
>
> /?: New file.
> *

Here's an idea: if Edlin supported /? for usage, Edlin might only
display the "welcome" screen there and *not* display it during normal
program startup. That would remove my need for a /QUIET command line
option.