To correct myself: I was getting a bunch of unrelated errors because I
made a mistake in my SETENV.BAT file. I set the CL, LINK, and MASM
variables to point to the executables (similar to what you might do on
Unix makefiles with CC, CFLAGS, etc)

But those variables are options to those commands (like DIRCMD) so
that was causing additional garbage.

If I clear out the CL, LINK, and MASM variables, my build attempt
fails in the same way that the OS/2 Museum does.

But hey, MS-DOS Edlin builds correctly - so there's that! But it won't
run on FreeDOS because "Incorrect DOS version." :-)