Arkady,

> Moreover, if MS-FORMAT allows to format 100 Mb as FAT32 (and
> XP works with it flawlessly?), then this should be accepted by us also.

But it doesn't work 'flawlessly'. I can read/write/copy/move/delete to -
from a ZIP-100 FAT32 disk, but it is NOT bootable.

> Do you mean, that
>
> - XP formats to FAT16 and makes bootable: diskette boots
> - XP formats to FAT32 and makes bootable: diskette bot boots
>
> ?

No.
 - XP formats to FAT16 and can be made bootable: diskette boots
 - XP formats to FAT32: diskette is NOT bootable

 I'm using SR to transfer the FreeDOS boot info to the ZIP disks.

> No, DOS doesn't used for "formatting functions", DOS is only host OS
> (for program) and it may present file system information for application.

I* should correct that.

In using SR to prep a ZIP-100 disk, it states;

Retrieve previous boot sector from media
Install FreeDOS boot sector onto media

 -then-

A SpinRite bootable operating system has been
successfully installed on drive X:

It's not a FreeDOS formatting issue, but a FreeDOS boot-sector issue
apparently.

Like I said from the start, I'm NOT a programmer. Just a user & am going to
be busy this week with real life & not have much more time to tinker with
all of this.
 --

     Jim Lilly - Team Z
     http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/teamzBios.jsp