>>  someone said  EMM386 is incompatible with HLT instruction?

MD> EMM386 uses the HLT instruction for its own purposes, but it
MD> does a check if the HLT is coming from itself or externally.
MD> Other than that, it looks like HLT causes the expected HLT
MD> behavior when the exception handler is triggered (since HLT is V86
MD> illegal).  Tom Ehlert would probably know the most about this if
MD> you need more info, since I believe it's his coding for the HLT
MD> mechanism in EMM386.

HLT is a protected instruction, which causes an illegal opcode
interrupt in VM86 mode - it's up to the handler to do whatever it
likes. BTW: mov bx,[ffff] is an invalid instruction also on any 386

It's not my coding (or whatever michael left of it, I didn't check),
but the original implementation by harald albrecht used it as a way to
cummunicate from V86 mode to PM mode.

AFAIR, the emulated behaviour is similar to

  if (opcode == HLT)
    if (source is in EMM386 V86 device)
       {
       do something clever as commanded by V86 part
       }
    else
       {
       NOP
       }

I may be wrong, but it probably never does HLT.

tom