On Mon, 10 May 2004, Bart Oldeman wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> > You don't remember correctly.
> > the kernel reference compiler has been for a long time TC 2.01 (which
> > is free), and has been changed to OW because it generates better
> > (smaller) code, and because it's free and open.
>
> Aitor remembers correctly -- he simply goes a few years further back than
> you and me. Before August '99 TC 2.01 couldn't be used. Watcom's been
> used as reference since Feb 2002.

http://fd-doc.sourceforge.net/spec/spec.html
Section "Programming Tools To Be Used"

"Our reference standard for a C compiler will be Borland C 3.1. Our
reference standard for Assembly will be Microsoft MASM. Borland C 3.1 was
chosen as the reference standard because this is the compiler used to
build the FreeDOS kernel. Microsoft MASM was chosen as the reference
standard because of the free availability of MASM-compatible assemblers.
The existing code base was also a deciding factor in choosing a reference
standard."

How about to change the reference compiler not only for the kernel, but
for all the project?

There had been a movement from MASM to NASM already, so this can be
reflected here as well. This is missing some documentation as well, right?
It would be helpful to have some port MASM --> NASM document.

I know Jim can phrase the change of the reference tools so that Turbo C
becomes a backup-solution, not to be turned down immediately.

Arkady, how is your progress toward OW going? Did have you assembled a
Mini-DOS-OW development environment, for instance? I just unpacked any
ZIP, except that ones specifically marked as "Fortran".

Bye,

--

Steffen Kaiser