Hallo,

Therefore I vote for a SYS option which lets you decide whether or not the 0x80 in the boot sector will be used. The DEFAULT should be, in my opinion, to accept the value from the boot manager / MBR / BIOS for harddisks. For floppy, 0 will be in the boot sector, and the DEFAULT should probably be to ignore the value from the BIOS / boot manager.

Why discriminate between floppy and hard disk?

So:
- no more 0xff
- always write 0 or 0x80

I agree with both of the above.

- allow control (patching, e.g. "mov variable,reg <-> mov reg,variable") of the actual source (value from caller versus value in boot sector) of the used boot drive number.

Can you give more details for the above? I don't like patching boot sectors at non-uniform places.

Regards,
Lucho