I wonder about those creation time set removals. It looks like your
I will consider reverting it, but a config.sys option is overkill.

Yes, it is. It'll be difficult to revert it as it leaded to numerous other optimisations. Besides, I already explained why I removed it. Why add back an useless feafure without solid argumentation? (Useless as it was setting creation time on each write.) Unless you can make it set creation times only once, which is difficult. Not speaking about access date, which shouldn't be set in DOS as it would mean unexpected writes. In summary, I didn't do this change only to be reverted back because Bart doesn't like it. Don't apply it to his stable branch, but *leave* it in our unstable, please.