Hi Jeffrey, I think I can explain your symptoms...

Your bootable CD probably contains a boot floppy image. The BIOS
uses this image to simulate an extra floppy drive. You can check
the contents of the A: and B: drives to verify this. To avoid the
effect, create a bootable CD with help of ISOLINUX (which does not
need a virtual floppy) boot loader / boot menu, and load the
virtual floppy image, with help of MEMDISK, only for the DOS menu
entry, not for the "boot from harddisk" menu entry.

>          Hit any key within 10 seconds to continue booot from Floppy
>          Hit 'H' or    wait 10 seconds to boot from Harddisk
> After booting into Windows, I can see there are two floppy drives...

Eric

PS: Check the FreeDOS ISO image as an example of the MEMDISK method.