Hi Bart,

Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:12:26 +1200 (NZST)
From: Bart Oldeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[...]
here's a patch which fixes a problem where drives > E: aren't properly
initialized with a full CDS entry until after all device drivers are
loaded.

RBIL actually says about lastdrive:

21h BYTE number of available drive letters; also size of current
                   directory structure array.
For DOS 4.0-6.0: largest of 5, installed block devices,
                   and CONFIG.SYS LASTDRIVE=
For DOS 7.x (Windows9X), set to 32 if no LASTDRIVE= or LASTDRIVEHIGH=, else set to larger of installed block
                   devices and LASTDRIVE(HIGH)=

we always use the 4.0-6.0 method. Technically the FAT32-enabled kernel should emulate the DOS 7.x behaviour, and the other one 5.0 behaviour.
But perhaps 7.x behaviour is desirable at all times?

So if we're not initialising drives > E: until all the drivers are loaded, what are we doing once they are all loaded - initializing the ones that are used but making the memory for the others available? Could we not just initialize 26 but still make the memory for the unused ones > E: available after the drivers are loaded? If we're not making the memory available, of course, it sounds like there is not much point in setting LASTDRIVE to anything but 26 :)

Please excuse my cluelessness, I guess I could read the source but I figure you can answer my questions pretty quickly!

Thanks in advance,
David