On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 18:59:25 -0800, Ben Hutchinson wrote:
> Of all the many files in the FreeDOS sourcecode, which files will I need
> if I just want to compile the bootsector and the kernel?

You'll need the source files present in the "KERNEL" package,
unsurprisingly. You can also fetch these sources on-line here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/freedos/svn/HEAD/tree/kernel/trunk/

> And also, what is the recommended free compiler (I'm
> not about to spend money to buy one) for use in compiling the FreeDOS
> bootsector and kernel?

The FreeDOS kernel can supposedly be compiled with the following
compilers: MS C, Watcom C, Turbo C, Turbo C++, Borland C.
>From those, I have tested successfully Open Watcom and Turbo C 2.01. Both
are free (no cost). Using Turbo C requires to change a few lines of
comments though, as I wrote here the 26th November of last year (still
not fixed on SVN).

Mateusz