Hi John,

John Price escribió:

I've seen some mention of LFN support in FreeDOS.  I
wonder exactly how much support we are talking about...

Is it supported in the kernel, or just command.com?

In my understanding, there's no LFN support at all, except in the DIR command of FreeCOM, where an existing LFN is searched and displayed.

Can I boot a machine with a kernel that has LFN support
and command.com that supports LFN and then use long
filenames on that system or is it more complex than that?

You would have to look for third party support. For a while I used DOSLFN and seemed to work ok...

I assume that if this is all true that I will have to use
different DOS calls for findfirst/next as well as other
file handling functions or will they all be happy to take
my long filenames without problems?

Yes, see functions AH=71h of 21h.

Aitor