Hi Mika!

> 1. ... need a DOS-compatible driver from the modem ...?

No, modems work with generic drivers under all operating systems.
Some operating systems have extra drivers to allow optimized usage.
Note that your modem has to be a generic serial port one (internal
or external) to work with FreeDOS!

FreeDOS has neither a "generic serial device connected to USB" driver
nor does it support any "Winmodems". Winmodems are not really modems
but similar to soundcards. Windows (or if you have a Linmodem driver:
Linux) has to process the audio waveforms MANUALLY (usually requires
at least 200 MHz and MMX) to make a "modem" from such a device.

> What kind of apps will I need?

Look at the FreeDOS.org page -> software -> networking. We have HTTP,
mail, FTP, SSH, SCP, probably IRC... programs for DOS listed there.
Some might require you to install a dialup software (probably part of
the Arachne download) and a TCP/IP stack (e.g. wattcp). The TCP/IP
stack has to be loaded as TSR in most cases. There are more informations
in the FAQ / howto and technote sections on FreeDOS.org - others might
know the exact URLs of the best "FreeDOS networking" info on the site.

> 2. ... do other things in DOS while downloading stuff via ftp?

Uhm... no. There is no DOS FTP client which would be able to run as
a TSR in the background yet. As long as you do not use the internet
while FTP is running, it could be possible to create an FTP client
which does what you suggest. You could ask on the FreeDOS networking
mailing list.

... And thanks for the praise :-).

Eric.

PS: I suggest that after you got things running, you could create entries
in our FAQ system, describing your experience. First topic: Which types of
modem are supported? Second topic: How do I use HTTP, FTP and IRC with DOS?