Hi, tried to mail Johnson directly, but got "relaying denied"... So on-list:

Hi, this is NOT a problem with the CPU if you ask me. It is one with
the BIOS for all what I can tell. FreeDOS runs fine on K6-2, I have
one myself. The K6-2 is 100% compatible to 386, and as you know, FreeDOS
is even compatible to everything which is 8086 compatible (plus a few
tools require a 386 compatibility). I do not think that optimizing the
FAT32 kernel for 386 would make it much smaller or faster, and it is
somehow cool to have FAT32 which even runs on 8086 :-).

Eric.

PS: I think the K6-2 is even completely Pentium compatible, while my old
CPU, a non-MMX 6x86 M1, lacked for example the Time Stamp Counter and several
other Pentium features (it even has CPUID disabled by default, but I enable
it in autoexec - which makes COMPINFO crash, because it just checks for CPUID
existance but not for the TSC support flag...).