From: Eric Auer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Freedos-user] Re: Printer Problems
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:24:05 +0200 (MEST)

Hi all,
I contacted Matt and he wrote that he is using a very old FreeDOS
which came with SuSE Linux 8.1 ... as far as I remember, even
SuSE Linux 9.0 had quite old DOSEMU and FreeDOS versions included.
Does somebody know about SuSE Linux 9.1? If not, we should probably
remind people at SuSE to do an update...?

Whatever. So his problem: During boot, BIOS leaves the printer
port in some init state which freezes the printer. MS DOS kernel
resets the printer port control lines to normal state during boot,
it seems, and the old FreeDOS which Matt used fails to do that.
I do not know if an update has helped, did not receive news about
test results after an update to 2034 / 0.82pl3 from him yet.

In the FAQ, there is a complaint about FreeDOS not initializing
serial port modem control lines. Similar problem. MS MODE of Win9x
seems to initialize those lines and therefore solves the problem
of that FAQ "reporter".

Question: Does FreeDOS 2034 initialize COM/LPT ports? If not,
are there any arguments against adding this feature? Should I
add initialization features to MODE (either implicit in MODE
port configuration commands or explicit:
MODE COM1 INIT or MODE COM1 DTR=TRUE RTS=FALSE or something, see int 14.05)
...?

Eric