On Tue, 11 May 2004 15:01:28 +0200, you wrote:

Hi,

>well... when i turn on my pc, the green led of the cdrom reader blinks, the
>tray opens and closes regularly but i cannot read any data from there. i
>tried this morning to connect the cdrom to a pc with win98. bios detected
>the device on boot and win98 detected it as new hardware and installed it,
>but when i put a cd into the reader, it was not able to read the disk.

It should be a coincidence, DOS have no ability to damage firmware
without the manufacturer's upgrade program.

Try to use the "CD-ROM cleaning DISC" which have some brush to clean
the laser head, or if you have some hardware experience, try to
disassemble CD-ROM and clean the head with soft cloth, best if you
have those camera air pump with brush.

Lifetime of a 52x CD-ROM is short, I've some slow 16x or even 4x still
working fine, but the 40x or above die soon.

Rgds,
Johnson.