At 11:38 PM 4/26/2004 +0200, Aitor Santamarķa Merino wrote:

>>The first option is X=TEST.  This option tests all UMB blocks after X=<range> and
>>I=<range> qualification by examining all bytes of the ROM block memory image.
>>X=TEST will discard a block from being used as a UMB if it detects any byte value
>>other than 0 or 0FFh, since those two values typically are found in unused upper
>>memory.
>>
>I don't know if I get this, so what is the use of X=TEST after X=<range>? If you have
>already explicitely forbidden that range...

X=TEST checks all remaining UMB candidates after X=<range> has excluded whatever you
want.  The only way X=TEST wouldn't test anything is if you had X=<range> exclude your
entire upper memory region along with the automatic ROM scanning.  X=TEST is a
double-check that the UMB's you are going to get are safe(r) than without the option.

>(maybe naive question) but why not simply adding this new second scanning algorythm
>to the existing one? (for the range specified with RAM= or for the default scanned
>range is no RAM present).

Thought seriously about it, but I had three reasons not to:  First, even in my small
test user case, not everyone wanted to use X=TEST because they felt it was overly
conservative and turned off UMB's that they could safely use.  Just because there is a
non-zero non-FF byte value at an upper memory location doesn't necessary means it's
ever going to be used, needed, or even noticed.

Second reason is that it's a significant behavior change and I didn't want to spring
that big of a surprise on everyone.  I mean, significant behavior changes are okay
when they provider better MS compatibility or fix problems, but X=TEST didn't always
and it's probably not what Microsoft EMM386 does, so I left the option behavior as a
choice.

Third reason, hmmm, what was that one.  Oh yeah.  There is a rumored small chance that
old machines would misbehave if you directly probed certain addresses in their upper
memory.  Those stories my be all legend, but I figured I wouldn't risk on an
late-release change.

Safety freaks can always stick in X=TEST everywhere they distribute.