diskette installation isn't implemented yet.
  It was implemented, in the past, but that's before we had follow-up steps
after copying disksets
  (creating autoexec.bat/config.sys, installing kernel files, translating
the user interface of FreeCOM into
   a localized language).

  cdrom is required.
  Otherwise, get the following:

  http://fdos.org/ripcord/beta9-final/addon/odin7bin.zip (bootable diskette,
executable programs only)
  http://fdos.org/ripcord/beta9rc5/addon/FDOS.zip ( complete freedos tree).

  I'm planning to add diskette installation to the next FreeDOS
distribution, which then will be
  "Beta9 final" instead of Release Candidates and/or Prereleases

  once that is done, it's probably time for a FreeDOS 1.0
  see the www.freedos.org for more information about the 1.0 todo-list

  Bernd