Trying to free some precious 640kB DOS mem I tried to load fdxms.sys,
fdxxms.sys (together, separate, no difference) but the system keeps giving
me an error during boot that the line:

  "small thingie" a "=" with a circle below it?

  I have setup current FreeDOS installation to create a multi-menu
config.sys after installing packages.
  see section 5 (a Roman "V") at:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/beta9rc5/readme.txt

  you are encouraged to use HIMEM instead of FDXMS.
  FDXMS may still not be able to run EMM386 driver, and HIMEM can be used in
combination with
  EMM386

  I don't know where you have installed your FreeDOS files (by default in
C:\FDOS),
  so that means you need to specify a complete path+filename:
  DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\HIMEM.EXE
  DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\EMM386.EXE
  DOS=HIGH,UMB

  thanks for the compliments.
  a ready-to-run bootdisk can be obtained from:
  http://fdos.org/ripcord/beta9-final/addon/odin7bin.zip

  Bernd