Hi all,
check (probably a bit outdated, but still) two sample config files at:
http://www.coli.uni-sb.de/~eric/stuff/soft/specials/freedos-config.txt

Comments on the other comments: Some drivers have problems when you load
them into UMBs, but otherwise UMBs generally work, no worries... And it
saves you a lot of base memory to use them, especially in combinaton with
EMM386 NOEMS
which gives you more than enough UMB space (because EMS is disabled, so no
64k page frame for EMS 3.2 compatibility is needed -> 64k more UMB free).

CTMOUSE and SHSUCDX can indeed load themselves high - but SHSUCDX might
actually be one of the programs where UMBs might conceivably have problems.
Luckily you can give both CTMOUSE and SHSUCDX a command line option / argument
to suppress usage of UMBs. I myself load almost everything into UMBs, except
lowlevel disk drivers and network drivers.

If something does not work or you get a crash, try loading less drivers
into UMB and more elsewhere, to find out what went wrong. Some bigger
network drivers - where you would like UMBs a lot - have to be loaded low,
otherwise they hang or give network errors. Just an example.

Hm, this is also a reply on
> Subject: Re: [Freedos-devel] [Fwd: FreeDOS]
now (bad subject choice, and more or less the wrong list)...

Well. Maybe not. THAT thread is about:

> > Hello.  My company processes (removes microsoft information) and resells
> > 1,000 - 1,500 major-label PCs a month.  The OEM would like us to add
> > FreeDOS licenses to these PCs.

Mr. Grant, I would suggest that you use something like the ODIN or
my inofficial Brezel distro to initialize those computers. They are
only one or one-to-three diskettes respectively, so install should
be fast and easy. This would allow people to actually DO something
with DOS. Only providing kernel and shell would be a sign of the
belief that DOS is complete nonsense in 2004 and will be deleted by
the new PC owner at once in all cases - if only kernel and shell are
included, this is exactly what will happen.

I offer my help to implement some half-automated deployment mechanism
for that. You can even boot over network with help of PXELINUX and
MEMDISK. Bernd should know more about that than I do.

Back to some more comments...

Typical GRUB loading:
> title # FreeDos b9 "Methusalem"
> root (hd0,1)
> makeactive
> chainloader /fdosboot.bin
> boot

I would recommend to work without that chainloader - better use the
boot sector of that partition directly. And "makeactive" is not needed
either as far as I know!

Typical Lilo lines:
> other=/dev/hda1
> label=FreeDOS
> chainloader=/boot/fdosboot.bin
> (obviously, you should keep the .BIN in LILO boot partition).
> P.S. Don't forget to do /sbin/lilo before rebooting!
For Lilo you do not have to - and you should not! - use the chainloader line
either. To create fdosboot.bin, boot FreeDOS from CD-ROM or floppy and do
SYS C: bootonly fdosboot.bin
(or similar, check SYS /?)

For DOSEMU you can use something like:
> dosemu.conf:
>   hd_image = "/dev/sda2"
>   vbootfloppy = "drives/dosboot.img +hd"
(and then start as xdos -A or xdos -C at your choice)
or you can even declare a DIRECTORY on your Linux filesystem as the C: drive!
DOSEMU can load FreeDOS kernels without needing any sys or boot sector at all.
But DOSEMU is of course only the DOS window or Linux ;-).

I am not sure if STACKS=9,256 is useful. I gain more free memory and speed
by using STACKS=0,0 - did not cause problems for me yet. In rare cases of
"lack of stack" you might even try more: STACKS=16,384 for example!?

To boot FreeDOS from harddisk without needing a boot menu and fdosboot.bin,
you ALWAYS have to boot FreeDOS from CD-ROM / floppy / network / whatever
and run SYS C: to overwrite the boot sector of C: with a FreeDOS one.
However, you can get by with fdosboot.bin even if your boot menu runs in
DOS / Windows itself. For example you can add fdosboot.bin menu items to
the Windows XP boot.ini (?) file and you can use fdosboot.bin together with
MetaKern to make Windows 98 and FreeDOS boot both (!) from the same C: FAT32
drive (not trivial - read the documentation first)...

> I have the last version of freedos (beta) and it is installed on /dev/hdb7
> (other are ext3fs, and /dev/hdb7 is fat32)

This is a case where SYS alone will not be enough: hdb is not the primary
harddisk and partition 7 is not a primary partition. So you have to use
Lilo or Grub or similar - the normal Master Boot Record itself has no
configuration options which would allow you to point to a boot sector outside
hda1 ... hda4 range.

To create a FAT32 partition from Linux, use Linux fdisk, parted, or any other
Linux partition table editor of your choice. Then use mkdosfs from the
dosfstools package to format the partition as FAT32 (or use DOS and the
FORMAT command, of course - although FreeDOS FORMAT seems to have problems
with FAT32 compatibility with Windows sometimes!?). If you want to boot that
partition... see above.

There is no FreeDOS SYS which you can run directly from Linux yet! And from
DOSEMU you 1. do not need SYS at all and 2. get wrong results because DOSEMU
does not make the real partition table visible to DOS (otherwise DOS programs
could mess up Linux from inside DOSEMU).

> I use dosemu/freedos on my linux box.
> Is it possible to lay down a FAT16 file system on my disk?
> I created a partition on my hard drive /dev/sda1 fat16 using fdisk from
> linux. ...

[Subject was: need fat16 file system]

Same story. Use mkdosfs. sda1 can be booted directly if your SCSI BIOS
supports booting from harddisk at all. Mark the partition active with
fdisk or use Lilo / Grub and create a menu entry to boot DOS. If you made
the DOS partition active, you need a boot menu like MetaKern or a boot
loader like LOADLIN to start Linux after booting DOS. And if you use Grub
or Lilo, you just start either DOS or Linux and need no way to start the
one FROM the other (but of course you can start the installed DOS in DOSEMU).

I hope that this mail made at least 3 people happy while not causing too
much annoyance (remember: I reply to 3 mails to 2 lists here, but those 3
mails are closely related to each other...).

Eric